Tuesday, May 5, 2009

NC Musician #2 - Nina Simone


Eunice Kathleen Waymon
Born in Tryon, NC
1933 - 2003
American singer, songwriter, pianist

oil on panel
20"X 32"

I used to date a girl who would sing Nina Simone's version of "Sugar in My Bowl" all the time. I was never crazy about that song but it made me take interest in NS's work. I eventually realized just how powerful a force she was. Aside from being blessed with beauty and an incomparable voice, she was a take-no-shit activist and brilliant piano player. Plus she rocked the close crop look waaay before any of her lady contemporaries.

I suppose she could fit into the AOJ column but as she never like to be catogorized (thanks wikipedia!) and labeling her music "jazz" is a little too general, I will put her into the undeniable title of an NC born musician.

No comments:

Post a Comment